Your Ad Here

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Familiarity Breeds Lust

An interesting phenomenon.

You load up a beautifully drawn picture with a perfectly bodied girl in the most sexy scene imaginable and then proceed to gaze at the poorly done scribbles on lined scrap paper on the next page. Why? Because you know who the girl in the second one is, of course. She’s from that game/anime/manga you like oh so much.

All of which sort of flies in the face of common sense, doesn’t it? Intuitively, one might think that after seeing the same face and same outfit over and over again, it might start to get boring. In general, the more familiar one becomes with a subject, the less interesting it gets. People need variety. People lust for the exotic. New faces, new situations, and new experiences are what we want, right?

But somehow Tifa is still hot.

And to be honest I don’t even like her that much.

So how come just knowing who a character is, even if she isn’t real, can make hentai so much sexier? There is obviously something to lust deeper than just seeing a pair of breasts and tab A being inserted into slot B.

Of course it would be a lame (but convenient) cop-out to just keep spouting rhetorical questions and vague statements, so I’ll have to put something of substance up for once.

Here are some of the aspects of familiarity that I think makes hentai sexy:

1) Affection – You like her. You want her to feel good. Knowing that she’s experiencing pleasure makes it all the better for you. But wait, you say, isn’t most hentai rape? Indeed it is. However, it’s also fantasy, and a very common theme in hentai is that everyone always enjoys rape at some point or another.

2) Antagonism – You don’t like her. Stupid whiny annoying evil bitch. Knowing that she’s been taken against her will is deliciously satisfying. Sure it’s mean, but that doesn’t stop it from being hot.

3) Desire – Wouldn’t it be amazing if she were real? Well she isn’t, but you’re not looking at hentai for a real companion now are you?

4) Disclosure – Sure she acts like a tough, independent, completely non-sexual woman all the time. But we all know she’s really a total nympho underneath.

And more that I’m not thinking of at the moment. Feel free to fill in the gaps.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you, knowing who the picture is makes it so much more enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

I think another big part of it is the familiarity itself. I've grown up always liking really obscure things, so when someone does fan art for a tv show I watch, I go nuts. I think it's because I see that I'm not the only one who likes that thing. I'm not the only one who has had that thought. That kind of thing. I think the reason people like hentai featuring someone they know may be due partly to the fact that they know that they share something with the artist. That they're not alone. Thoughts?

Kris said...

Am probably more leaning towards 3 there... kind of like when I showed you my OCs, I've had a really high standard on women from looking at too much hentai xD

I think it's effected me kinda negatively though, but... eh. Hentai's probably the closest nudity of anyone am seeing for a while <_<;

Anonymous said...

Most people also prefer doujins written in a language that they understand, for many of the same reasons.